My arrival in Switzerland

If, when you arrived in Switzerland, you were:

  • less than 18 years of age AND
  • without your parents or legal guardian

you are considered a separated child or youth, meaning you live in Switzerland without a legal representative. According to Swiss law, you are an unaccompanied minor, often referred to as a UAM. You are also considered a UAM if you arrived in Switzerland with adults that are not your parents or legal representatives. Example: aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers or sisters.

To legally stay in Switzerland, you need to have a residence permit. For that, it is important to speak with an adult knowledgeable of Swiss law in order to receive pertinent information.

The persons that can assist you with these steps are:

  • A lawyer
  • Migrants help centre support staff in the canton which you live. See "Who can help me?"
  • Your authorized representative (the person designated for you as an asylum seeker upon arrival in Switzerland)
  • Your guardian or trustee (the person assigned to support your during the procedure in establishing your canton)